Skip To Main Content

Registration FAQ

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions 

Where is the registration guide?

The registration guide has been pushed out to current student Chromebooks, and has been posted on the "Class of 20xx" page.

How do I know what classes I should take?

 They are listed in the Registration Guide. It’s your responsibility to be sure you’ve fulfilled your credits. You can check on your progress toward your credit requirement in Family Access. Keep in mind that some graduation pathways require specific courses, as do some colleges.

How do I know what classes “count” for, in terms of graduation requirements?

Read the registration guide! Every course description lists what graduation requirement the course satisfies.

How can I fit everything in?

To fit everything in, you have 8 semesters at SW, plus options of summer school, Running Start, Shoreline Virtual Learning (SVL), and zero period.

Can I change my mind later?

When you complete your registration, you are committed to taking the classes you signed up for. You will not be able to change after you've registered, so make sure you take time to select carefully.

I can’t fit in PE. Can I get it waived?

Possibly 1 semester (0.5 credits), if you’ve done a school sport and can prove that you absolutely can not fit PE in your 4-year schedule. Keep in mind that graduation requirements are set at the district and state levels, so waiver requests are seldom approved and require a paperwork process. 

 How do I get a copy of my transcript?

Transcripts list your semester credits and final semester grades (report cards). You can request an unofficial transcript from the counseling office. You can contact your school counselor, the counseling secretary, or the registrar to request a copy.

What classes do colleges require?

Every college is different. Colleges require different courses than are required for high school graduation. Check college websites for their admission requirements. However, be sure to go “above and beyond” their minimum admission requirements to strengthen your chances of actually being admitted. In general, it’s safe to plan on 4 years of core subjects, show an upward trend with your GPA, and show that you’ve challenged yourself with the appropriate rigor level for you.

I heard that colleges require a minimum of 2 years of World Language, so I probably should do more than the minimum. Can I do 1 year of one language and then two years of a different one?

No. Colleges require a minimum of two years in the same language. Note: UW’s “unofficial” minimum is 3 years, so we recommend SW students complete at least 3 years in the same language.  

Should I take Honors, AP, or regular class?

This is an individual decision. Take time to make the right decision for yourself because, in almost all cases, you can’t switch out of the class for which you registered. Talk to your current teacher in this subject area and to a teacher who is currently teaching the course you are considering.

What’s the difference between Honors and AP?

Honors courses are Shorewood-specific, whereas AP is a national curriculum.

What is AP and can I take it?

AP (Advanced Placement) is a national college-level curriculum. Specific grade level requirements are listed in each AP course description in our registration guide. Be sure you’ve done your research because you will have to stay in the class all year if you register for it. For every AP course, there is an exam at the end of the year, with additional cost (scholarships available), which can be used for college credit if your score is high enough. In general, colleges like seeing an AP course (or more) on your transcript because it shows you are challenging yourself and they know what the course entails.

How many AP/Honors should I take?

Again, this is an individual decision. Talk to teachers, family, etc. to decide what level of rigor makes sense for your capabilities, personal situation, and extracurricular activities.

 I’m going to try out for [cheer, drill, etc.] but tryouts are after my registration form is due.  What do I do?

Sign up for other electives. Counselors will check with you and change your schedule if you make the team (good luck!).

What is Running Start and should I do it?

High School Juniors and Seniors are eligible for Running Start. Running Start is a Washington program that allows high school students to take community college classes tuition-free (although there are some fees and book costs). It is a “dual enrollment” program, meaning you earn credits at the high school and college simultaneously. Because it is a Washington program (not national), out-of-state colleges might not accept the credits earned through Running Start if you try to transfer them. However, especially because Shorewood is so close to Shoreline C.C., many students take advantage of this opportunity every quarter. Running Start allows more flexibility in getting your high school graduation requirements satisfied, but it’s not for everyone.

How do I sign up for Running Start?

If you are interested in signing up for next year, enrollment for the Fall quarter starts in April. In the meantime, sign up for a full schedule at SW just in case, but let your counselor know that you are interested in Running Start and you should check the appropriate box on the online form stating that you are interested in Running Start. In order to take any Running Start class, students must follow the enrollment and placement guidelines of the individual college.  

Where can I get more information about Running Start?

Visit any community college’s Running Start webpage, visit Shorewood's counseling webpage or talk to your school counselor. 

What if I have more questions?

Students: Use your many tools, including 1) the Registration guide – it is packed with information including course descriptions, policies and graduation requirements 2) current teachers regarding their recommendations and information about specific courses 3) In Family Access you can see which credits you have earned and which courses you have taken;  4) your Counselor: Counselors make every effort to be available during your free time for drop-in questions. You may also email your counselor with additional questions that you can't find the answer to.