Letters of Rec for College Apps
IMPORTANT: we use Scoir for Letters of Recommendation for Shorewood staff, NOT Common App
DO NOT request Shorewood or Shorecrest staff in the Common App. You can list their name but DO NOT list their email address.
Counselor Brag Sheet Deadlines
You should give counselors and teachers at least three weeks to write a letter. Every fall, we set deadlines for Counselor Letters which are at least three weeks in advance of common deadlines.
It is NOT your recommender's job to track you down. It is up to you to submit brag sheets and to do all steps below properly.
Expand each step below for detailed instructions
Rising Seniors can do up to Step 3 in spring/ summer. Wait until fall to complete Steps 4-8.
- Step 1: Find Out if You Need Letters
- Step 2: Ask Your Teacher and Counselor
- Step 3: Complete a Teacher Brag Sheet (and, if needed, a Counselor Brag Sheeet)
- Step 4: Complete FERPA in Scoir (all students) and Common App (if using)
- Step 5: Formalize the Request in Scoir (only for Teacher Letters)
- Step 6: Follow Up With Your Teacher & Counselor
- Step 7: Thank your Teacher & Counselor
- Letter Writer Isn't a Shorewood Teacher? Read This
- Want tips for getting great letters?
- How do I decide which teachers to ask? Does the subject they teach matter?
- What if I am applying to a particular program?
- Do I need to provide the maximum number of letters allowed by the college?
- May I have a non-Shorewood teacher write a letter?
- What if the letter has not been uploaded/ sent?
- How can I view the letters?
- What if I need a letter for a scholarship application?
Resources for Letters
Letters of Recommendation Presentation guides you through the entire process, from asking for a letter to requesting in Scoir. Also covers what to do if the recommender is not on Shorewood staff.
Teacher Brag Sheet make a copy, answer the questions and share with the teacher who will be writing a letter for you.
Counselor Brag Sheet make a copy, answer the questions, and share with your counselor.